Friday, November 30, 2007

Why the title "You're Pretty Too."

My sister-in-law suggested I write about why I have named my blog "You're Pretty Too." Several, if not most of you reading this know the story already, but since I am enjoying blogging much more than I intended to- I decided to write the story down- you know for posterity! About this time of year nine years ago my in-laws were having a family portrait taken. It was the children's gift to the parents- in fact I organized it- because that is the type of person I am :). (I'm not really conceited- just very sarcastic!) We were in the studio and the photographer was placing everybody. He started with my soon too be sister-in-law who has won beauty pageants- seriously- I'm not just being sarcastic here. He went on and on about how gorgeous she was. Then he placed my two other sisters-in-law and again pour it on thick about how beautiful they were. Then he got to me. Now I was 5 months pregnant at the time with my first child and in that "Is she getting fat or is she pregnant?" stage. So not feeling incredibly confident about myself anyway, he looks at me and says, "Well, you're pretty too." Thanks for the courtesy comment. Later that night I said to Eric, "I didn't realize I was the ugly duckling of the family." He of course had no idea what I was talking about. It did hurt my feelings that night, but now I think it is the greatest story and comment because it really does encompass my personality. I have joked about it with my family and friends so much, I can't imagine not being "Pretty too." Surprisingly my in-laws do not know this story. They were there, but I'm sure have no recollection of it at all. I'm afraid if I told them the story they would just try to comfort me and say, "Oh, he didn't mean it like that." But I know he did and I don't want it meaning anything else. I am pretty too and I like it that way! Here is the picture of my in-laws that was taken that infamous day! My beauty pageant sister-in-law is on the back right and Eric's two sisters are in front. I'm the average pretty one on the back left. I was telling this story to another friend who knows my older sister also. Her comment was, "Not only do you have good-looking sisters-in-law, but your older sister is a real beauty too. She has that gorgeous blonde hair and she always looks so nice and..." She stopped short because she realized she was going on about my sister like the photographer had and seriously said, "You're pretty too." I know- I get it!

7 comments:

amberjill said...

what a funny story!! ok, music, click on my music and choose your own! i know, i'm so techno savvy!!

Julie said...

ya know...I can never get enough of that story. And of course we can tell who Jessica is....the country music star. DUH!!

Lisa said...

Thanks for sharing that story. I may be one of the few that didn't know it. HILAROUS!!! I'm sure I'd feel the same way. Really, you are pretty too! LOL

youreprettytoo said...

Really-Somebody needs to tell me- does "lol" mean lots of love or lots of luck. It could mean the difference between feeling good about myself or being offended! :) I honestly don't know and see it everywhere in blogs! Somebody help?!?

JayKo said...

Hey there Kari, I heard your damsel in distress call, wanting to know what "lol" means. I'm hear to help! "Lol" means "laugh(ing) out loud," at least that's what I've been told. I hope that helps you out.

Amber said...

I'm glad you shared the story. It is just so funny. You are super pretty...so your blog title is fitting! I love the new family pics!

Natalie said...

Oh Missy, I seriously LOL when I read that you honestly didn't know what LOL meant. "Could somebody tell me what LOL means?" Woohoo, that is a hoot. LOL. BRB. LYLAS. "Could somebody tell me what BRB means?"