Friday, November 16, 2007

Oreo moon cycle



This is a project Finn brought home from school this week. It is the phases of the moon made out of oreo halves. A very clever way to teach this concept, I thought especially because I use to teach this when I taught school. But if you look closely at the first quarter on the right side you will see that the first quarter moon has been licked off. And that is where my story lies....

Finn proudly walked in the door waving his phases of the moon with Annie behind him pleadly for an oreo cookie. He kept telling her no because he had worked hard on it and didn't want it ruined. I agreed with him and told Annie to leave him alone. Annie is not easily distracted from an object of her pursuit. (I'm trying to see this as a positive attribute and call it perserverance instead of stubbornness!) Anyway after a few minutes of being told to give it a rest, she let it drop. She and Finn went into the family room to watch their daily dose of "Arthur"and I went about to one of the hundreds of things I could be doing at any given moment. After a little while I went into the kitchen and passed by them watching TV. At that moment Annie looked up at me with her "deer in the headlights" look. If you are a parent you know this look. If you are under the age of 12 you have a hard time not letting your face give you away when you have done something wrong. Two thoughts went through my mind then- 1) "Annie , you are going to have to come up with a better poker face than that ." and 2)- "What could she be doing wrong- she's just watching TV." Apparently my desire to get the laundry changed was greater than my desire to find out what she was getting into because I just kept on to the laundry room. While changing the laundry I heard a high-pitched, drawn out "ANNNIE!" coming from the family room and thought, "Yep, there it is!" I came back to the family room to find Finn again waving his oreo moon phases poster at me but not so much proudly, rather -angrily. I saw the missing "First quarter" and knew who the culprit was immediately. I asked Annie why she would eat the icing when she had been told not to. She said she "accidentally" did it. Yeah sure- and I just "accidentally" finished off the last of the pumpkin cheesecake!

3 comments:

Julie said...

I bet you totally ate the rest of the pumpkin cheesecake huh. That wasnt just a commonly used phrase. You PIG.

youreprettytoo said...

Well it actually was the rest of the spiced pear layered dessert from cooking club, but I didn't want to say all that. Pumpkin cheesecake rolls off the tongue easier. But both of them go down the tongue very easily!

Crissy said...

One of many proud moments for a parent! Just for the record, I "accidentally" eat oreos all the time and it is a mystery why! Love ya! Crissy