Sunday, November 25, 2007

"Turkey for me and turkey for you. Let's eat turkey in my big brown shoe."

I think I will try to title all my blogs with a little ditty. So thank you to Adam Sandler for today's title. So we had Thanksgiving at our house and despite all my complaining and worrying it turned out just fine. My in-laws brought a 23 lb turkey, but they didn't think it would be enough so they asked us to make one too. Guess what we had in our fridge Thanksgiving night- that's right a completely untouched, cooked 15 lb turkey! So we have been enjoying turkey leftovers every night since. Finn asked if we were going to have turkey until January and I said, "Yes and you better be grateful because there are some people who don't have any..." (You know the rest- Parent Lecture #14). Anyway here are some of the turkey dishes we have been consuming or will be trying this week:

Turkey sandwiches- with stuffing, cranberry sauce and a touch of mayo-mmm- so perky!

Turkey Shepherd's Pie with sweet potatoes on top-very tasty

Turkey Enchiladas

Creamy Turkey and Rice soup

and the piece de resistance- Baked turkey and broccoli pasta.

Now I think this one is the highlight because Eric and I made this recipe up ourselves. Here it is:
1 lb penne or ziti pasta- cooked
4 cups shredded turkey
2 cups steamed broccoli
1 1/2 cups Parmesan cheese
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1/2 medium onion chopped
small can of mushrooms or you could use fresh - but we didn't have any.
2 Tbs olive oil
2 Tbs butter
4 Tbs flour
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup cream
1 Tbs White wine vinegar
1 crushed clove of garlic
1/4 tsp nutmeg
Salt & pepper
Preheat oven to 400. Heat oil and butter together over medium high heat. Add onions, mushrooms and garlic. Saute until onions are soft- about 4-5 minutes. Add flour to make a roux- cook for a minute or two. (If you use fresh mushrooms you may have to add more oil to make the roux, because those babies just soak up the oil!) Add chicken broth and cream. Let thicken, then add vinegar, parmesan cheese, nutmeg and S& P to taste. Let cook for a few minutes. Combine pasta, turkey, broccoli, and roux. Pour into a 9 x 13 sprayed with cooking spray. Then top with Swiss cheese. Cook for about 15-20 minutes until the cheese is browned on top.
Sooo, sooo good- if we do say so ourselves. If you do try this recipe- let me know what you think. Also do you have any good turkey leftover dishes? I'm pretty sure I will need some more. We are only about 2/3 the way through our turkey. "Turkey for the girls and turkey for the boys. My favorite kind of pants are corduroys..."

3 comments:

Julie said...

I didnt get to keep the turkey. I am actually very jealous of your leftovers and I want to try the recipe you made up. So lets do lunch...yes I am inviting myself to your house for lunch and ...no its not the first time.

Kelly said...

I'm impressed you hosted Thanksgiving dinner at your house. I've never once had to cook for Thanksgiving in my life. I have a mother-in-law all too happy to do that, and a husband who will choose his mom's cooking over mine any day. When I do finally have to, I will be calling you in a panic to see if you have any of that turkey left!

Liz said...

Parker heard that song for the first time a couple of weeks ago....he hasn't stopped singing it!