Thursday, January 31, 2008

The birds and the bees and the role of a man.

There have been some pretty heavy conversations going on at our house. I'll start with Annie first. Yesterday morning I was doing her hair and out of the blue she asked, "Mom, why do you have to be married to have kids?" Alright- think this through- does she really need details or can a vague answer satisfy this growing curiousity. Her being only 6, I decide on the latter and respond, "Because you need both a man and a woman to have a baby." To which she responds, "Ohhhh, I see!" At this point I panic a tiny bit because I think some great connection has been made in her brain from the information I gave her and she now really knows how babies are made. I don't know where she may have gotten any additional information- I mean we don't even have cable- but she has surprised me in the past with what she knows already. But then she follows that up with, "Because you need a man to make the boys happy and a woman to make the girls happy." Relief! Just the kind of innocent, sweet and a little bit complimentary to me response you would expect from a 6 year old.
Now on to Finn. I wasn't even here for this conversation, but Annie reported it to me. A few nights ago Eric's younger brother, Steve, was watching our kids for us and Suzie had a poopy diaper. Steve is really cute with the kids, but a poopy diaper was a bit outside his brotherly obligation. So he asked Finn to change it. Keep in mind Finn changes Suzie's diaper for me all the time and he sees his father do it too. Notwithstanding all that, he answers, "I don't change diapers. I'm a man." Just when you thought gender stereotypes were a thing of the past....

8 comments:

super advanced said...

Your family is hilarious. I can't wait for what is in store for me later.I might be in Utah over Natalie's wedding, so hopefully I will see you then.
Sara

Kate said...

Oh, I know what you mean. Sydney asks tons of questions about how babies get into mommies' tummies. She really wants me to have a baby brother for her, so it's been a huge topic of conversation lately. We'll have to talk about this one....not type!
xoxo
good luck

Kate said...

ps- I stole your Pres. Hinkley stuff and put it on my blog. I knew you wouldn't mind.
xoxo

Unknown said...

Too funny! It's hard to know what's going on in those little heads, huh? They already know more than they should!!

Thelissa said...

Oh so funny. Doesn't it make you wonder where they come up with stuff?!

Tamilisa said...

So cute! That is really funny.

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

Hey, this isn't related to your post, but I really love your tunes. . .I went to Damian's office to make copies for a stake thing and put on your blog, turned up the dial and practiced my belly dancing moves. OK, so I finally have a blog, but it's not funny like yours, it's an ugly pink and no pictures, music and videos. You're way cooler than me.

Anonymous said...

I am not interested in having any more kids Kari, but I do like the thought of always trying. Plus, there is nothing wrong with men opting out of changing diapers, feminism was a bad idea them and a bad practice now.