Tuesday, January 22, 2008

I Spy a project finally finished.

So I'm not the best at finishing projects I start- especially crafty ones. I always have lots of ideas, but seem to have a problem with the follow-through. I have been working on an "I Spy" quilt for Annie for years- and that's not even a hyperbole* like "I'm so hungry I could eat a horse." or "Its raining cats and dogs." I mean literally YEARS. I started it when I was pregnant with Katie and that was 4 years ago. You might be asking yourself- "What exactly is an 'I Spy' quilt?" It is a quilt where you "spy" different things in the squares. You usually get a group together of other people who want to do an "I Spy" quilt too. Next you choose a fabric with a cute repeating pattern like butterflies or flowers or fish, etc and then find a cute corresponding fabric to go with it. Then you make about 30-or how ever many people there are in your group- of the same square with these fabrics. Then you switch with the other people in your group and get 29 different squares. It is fun to see what you get- although be cautioned not everyone's taste will be good as yours- I have found! I did about 3 different groups to get enough squares to make a quilt for Annie, plus I got a ton of cute fabric from a neighbor who is quite the quilting bee. Anyway I FINALLY finished it this weekend. Here it is:

Luckily Annie loves it and it is her bedspread. My only problem- now Katie wants one too. Fortunately I could foresee this little complication and saved enough squares to make one for her too. But I probably won't get it done until she graduates from high school. And poor Suzie may just have to make her own. My younger sister, Natalie, knows what this is like. She had to fill in her own baby book. BABY BOOK- oh crap- another unfinished project!

*I used "hyperbole" for my sister, Michelle's benefit. She loves it when I use them big, fancy words. Check out her new blog- Missy and men on my links! :)

18 comments:

Amber said...

Kari, your quilt is beautiful. I am so impressed you finished it. Annie is one lucky girl to have that on her bed. Just tell Katie and Suzie they can admire it on Annie's bed and pretend that it's theirs :)

Thelissa said...

I am I-M-P-R-E-S-S-E-D! Impressed! I'm lucky to throw two coordinating fabrics together with some batting in the middle. Love the quilt! Fun idea. Not that I'm going to make the claim that "maybe one day I'll make one"...it won't happen. But love it anyway!

kissa em jaxx said...

I love it, will you make one for my two girls...since you are so quick at it.

kissa em jaxx said...

By the way...I love the quote.

Kamille said...

Beautiful. I love it!!! I'm impressed. And I hear you can even rock the house in 80's trivial pursuit.

Kevin Pratt said...

I am so proud of you! So I guess Katie will get the leftover squares quilt...the less attractive ones? I am sure she'll never care unless she reads your blog (assuming it happens while she's in High School and she scrolls back this far.) Good work!

Anonymous said...

Good to be back so I can see what's going on in your brain and home. Love reading your posts

Kelly said...

Here's a word to try - existentialism. I have an obnoxious neighbor who is ALWAYS dropping that word, and I have to giggle because I really don't know what it means. So your assignment is to work it into your next post.

Crissy said...

I am sooo proud of you! You finished it! AMAZING! If you want help or need fabric, you know who to call! ME!! I miss you and I hope we can get together soon. Thanks for reading my rants, I mean my blog. I think you are the only one. Love you!

Jennifer Never said...

Way to go!!! I love to quilt, but it is always the finishing touches that are the hardest! It looks great. I'm a loser mom when it comes to baby book and yearly pictures and all that other crap. I knew I wouldn't do it for all the kids so I didn't do it with even one. How pathetic is that. O well...I GAVE THEM LIFE ISN'T THAT ENOUGH???!!!

youreprettytoo said...

I really have my work cut out for me- I have to use existentialism AND fiddlededee in my next blog. It should be interesting!

Anonymous said...

Well fiddledeedee!!! You are very popular! I am the 12th person to comment on this post alone! It's so hard to be your sister and mom's daughter- there is so much pressure!!

Liz said...

You are so talented...what would that be like? What a cool keepsake from her mom. Want to make one for Emi?

Anonymous said...

Missy I tagged you- check my blog out

Tamilisa said...

Wow. Very cool quilt! I have such a problem finishing projects too!!!!

Natalie said...

Popular...you're gonna be pop-Uuu-lar. Just not quite as popular as me!

Natalie said...

I know you are singing it as you read it, cuz I was singing it as I typed it.

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

OK, am I the only one of your fans that wants some close up pictures? I can hardly see the thing and I'd like to be impressed with the details. . .so take some close ups and show off to your puny little fans, even more (unless there are some problems with the straightness of your seams???)