Tuesday, January 29, 2008

He Made It!

2 Timothy 4:6-7

6. For I am now ready to be offered. And the time of my departure is at hand.

7. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith.

8. Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord the Righteous judge shall give me at that day. And not to me only, but unto all them also that love His appearing.

I couldn't let the passing of our beloved prophet go by without mentioning it on my blog. This wouldn't be a journal worth its salt if I didn't devote a few thoughts and words to President Gordon B. Hinckley. I have read a number of blogs of people beautifully expressing their sadness of the passing of the prophet and also gratitude for the life he lived and the influence he not only had on our church, but the world as well. I completely agree - there will never be anyone like President Hinckley. I, with millions of others across the world, will miss him greatly and loved him dearly. I met him once- shoot I should have mentioned that in my "brush with celebrity" post :) And funny enough like the celebrities I saw at that party, he was smaller in physical stature than I expected him to be. But his spiritual stature was second to none. He had a great love for all mankind and I personally think the earth mourned some on Monday morning. (If you live in Utah- you know the storm I'm talking about.) Something else that has struck me through all this is how quickly the news of his death spread without it being on the news or radio or even without people finding out via the internet. I know it was all over the media that night, but I found out an hour after he died and from what I have read that is when many others found out too. I think the church released the information an hour after he died and probably within minutes thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people knew about it. And they probably found out about like I did- through a family member or friend calling them. I think this speaks volumes about out church. I think some would be critical saying we are nosey or gossipers, but I see it completely different. I believe we are a close-knit community of family and friends who care greatly about one another. We talk to our family and neighbors and help one another. We laugh and rejoice in each other's successes and we "mourn with those who mourn and comfort those who stand in need of comfort." Which is just what President Hinckley taught us to do. And I know who he was teaching for. I just can't imagine the reception he got when "he made it!"

9 comments:

Kevin Pratt said...

Beautiful comments. I had those same feelings about how quickly word spread to all who really care about him. I doubt there was anyone who loved that man who didn't know before morning. He was such an amazing man who endured so well. Not many in this world have been able to have such a powerful influence on millions of other souls! Can you imagine the reception of noble spirits gathered to greet him on the other side?! I am grateful for his life.

Julie said...

You are so good with words. That was Awesome. Thanks for writing it down for your journal but for me too.

Thelissa said...

Great post. A guy at Paul's work, who is not a member, once told Paul that Utah is the greatest place to be in times of emergency because the church is so organized and well prepared. People know each other and watch out for each other. I think this is true of what you were saying about how quickly everyone found out about President Hinckley. We are a network. A great one at that!

Anonymous said...

He did make it. Now that I know how to cut and paste by myself, could I just copy it and put it on my blog?:)

Kate said...

Hey girl. I'm adding you to my friend's list again. I changed my template and forgot your blog address!
I love your post about the prophet. It's interesting that there was a storm in Utah when he died b/c I remember very vividly that there was one the day President Hunter died too. The earth has a spirit too.
love you.

Unknown said...

I thought it was a good post as well, too bad "The Devil Went Down to Georgia." Interrupted me half way through that. I must say that gave me quite the surprise. Here I reading you blog only to have Charlie Daniels violin start blaring on my computer. Good thing I just went to the bathroom.

Unknown said...

Ohh he card read good. I just reread my post and realized how bad I butchered the English language. I'm sorry to everyone that took the time to read it.

Anonymous said...

Mayy, I mean Mayt,I maean, I mean Mayt. Oh my gosth. I can't type. I mean MATT! I am tyoping wthis without fiximng all my typing mistatkes:) Anyway you are so funny with your typing mistakes. You sholuld really learn to use spell check. Like me.

Anonymous said...

President Hinckley was one of the most lovable and loving people in the world, and was respected by those within and without the Church. He will truly be missed. But his touch upon the Church, especially his imprint on our young people of the Church and the recent converts of the Church, will long be felt.

After his endless energy and dedication, and his endurance without his wife at his side, he must welcome this rest. Thank you, President Hinckley and Thank you Kari for your post.