Friday, July 11, 2008

Companies I Should Buy Stock in...

So tonight Eric and I took had a little family outing and took 7 kids to see "Kung Fu Panda". One would think this would be a good time for all, but anyone who has taken on such an undertaking would agree with me when we refer to it as our "Friday Night Torture Session." Now we don't have 7 children, but Eric decided to invite anyone under 5 feet who was within 30 feet of our house. That was his first mistake. His second was thinking Suzie could sit through an hour and 45 minute movie with falling apart. So as I was dishing out popcorn from our 3rd popcorn bucket- we really only ate two, but Suzie had spilled one in one of her tantrums-(See what fun we had :) the idea for this post was born. My kids love popcorn and absolutely cannot watch a movie without having it. I would assume this is pretty normal- especially at the movie theatre, but my kids can't watch a movie at home without popcorn either. So needless to say, I have bought a lot of popcorn over the years and I am sure I will buy loads more. I have heard it is good stock-buying advice to purchase stock in companies that you personally use a lot. So Orville Redenbacher should be at the top of my list. Here are a few more I thought of:
*Band-aids- My girls are obsessed with band-aids. They think they need one for every scrape, bruise, splinter, hangnail, burn, loose piece of skin, and of course any general ouwie that doesn't have blood. I literally find at least 5 band-aid wrappers a day strewn around my house. I keep threatening that when we really need a band-aid for a real blood emergency we won't be able to find one.
*Tree-top Apple juice- Anyone who knows my kids well knows they love juice- especially when they are under 4 years old. As they get older they seem to calm down about the juice. I do try to water it down not only for the sugar factor but also for the money factor. Eric says Suzie and Katie are like little hummingbirds living on juice alone.
*Any company that makes little purses or bags. I personally don't buy a lot of these, because they seem to multiply like bunnies at our house. So somebody is making money off them. Every time I turn around Annie has a new purse she got from a friend or from Grandma or from anybody who has one she likes. She is one girl who has no problem asking for what she wants.
*Any company that makes baseball hats. Again I don't buy a lot of these, but Eric does- not necessarily for himself, but for Finn. Anytime they go to a sporting goods store or a sporting event he comes home with a new hat. This is probably a key reason why when Finn listed the order of who he likes the most in our family I came in after Eric. This was a real conversation we had in our house, but one I wouldn't recommend if you are the enforcer at your home. You just can't compete when you are the one who makes them do chores and practice the piano. But just for FYI sake this was Finn's standing for our family- Suzie, Dad, Mom, Katie then Annie. Annie was not pleased with the standings either!
*Tape- any kind- you name it- we use a lot of it- scotch, masking, duct, electrical, etc. I couldn't really tell you what for but it seems like someone is always asking where the tape is. And it seems to be the one elusive thing you forget to buy when you are at the store. And when I do remember to stock up on it- it disappears when I need it. I find it in random places like under the couch, in the garage or outside in the garden. What it was needed for in the garden- I'll never know.
So there's my list- and I'm sure I could think of more if I wasn't so tired. But I am curious to know what companies you would buy stock in. Let me know! You never know-maybe we could build some sort of moms' mutual fund.

7 comments:

Kelly said...

I just bought a 9 pack of Tree Top tonight. It will be gone by tomorrow night, I'm sure. And I will have little round sticky spots on the kitchen floor tomorrow from Simon carrying it around and playfully squeezing it along the way. Emmy is the exact same way with band-aids. Even when there is no blood, she admits that it just makes her FEEL better to know it's there.

amberjill said...

I refuse to buy stock. I'd rather just throw my money away, especially at the movies. The other night we went and saw Wall E here on our Caribbean vacation (not to rub it in, but it's been awesome!!). Anyway, at the movie we had to purchase a ticket for Grady! $5.75 for an infant to babble and cry through a movie. And you know what??? I didn't feel bad at all not taking him out when nobody could hear what was going on!

Thelissa said...

I would buy stock in diapers, I have had at least two children in diapers at any given time for the last five years. We buy pull-ups too. I would buy stock in Nestle Quik and also toilet paper. Why can't they just get the amount they need and use it the way it was intended? We go through rolls and rolls. Paul's mom used to complain about the same thing. then if they got toilet papered, she made them clean it up and put it in a paper bag. Apparently there was always a paper bag full of crumpled toilet paper next to the toilet during the summer. (That was just a side story:))

Andrea said...

I would have to buy stock in Diet Coke, not because of me of course. You'd think my husband would be big enough to not leave half drunken cans around. He blames it on the kids, but I don't think so. I would also have to invest in apples. Sam eats apples constantly. It could be worse, like Diet Coke, but I find half eaten apples all the time too. You think a 37 year old and an 8 year old would know better. I think every mother needs to invest in bandaids. It doesn't matter how old your kids are, they just make everything better.

Anonymous said...

these are my companies: x-cel fitness, POP- anykind 'cause you know- i LOVE it:), target, and "beans". and by the way, my friday night at IMC L/D sounds much more fun than yours- very sorry:(

Julie said...

Duct Tape for sure. I never buy bandaids...I just let my kids bleed. Can I just say I need to buy stock in Costco. That pretty much covers it all. And about the movies with Grady...Amber that sucks. I think i would pinch my kid so that I could prove the point.

Lori said...

Rubber gloves!!! I go through 100's at work! I need to put that on my To Do List ~ Buy stock in rubber gloves.