Monday, June 30, 2008

"It was bound to happen...

...last night it did!" And to be honest, I am surprised it hasn't happened before- especially with Annie. But it wasn't Annie, it was Katie. First let me set the scene. Here is a recent picture of Katie.
Fairly cute, right! The outfit is a bit suspect- although that will be gone into at a later date. But the hair is in a bob and pulled back out of her face. I grew out her bangs last winter and when she does let me do her hair , it can be quite cute. But most days she looks like a rag-a-muffin because she won't let me comb it. Between her mismatched clothes and her hair in her face, often she looks like she doesn't have a mother. But she does- albeit one who has given up fighting with her about her appearance. Which is why she has been seen with cowboy boots on at church or wearing pink corduroys in 90 degree weather. Again- this is material for a whole 'nother post. So Sunday evening she comes running up to me and says, "Mom, look what I did!" And if you haven't figured it out by now- here is another clue.

That's right- Katie decided that with the change in season, she also needed a sassy new do! This is what she came up with.
To get the full effect, of course you need to see the side views as well.



As you can tell she is quite proud of herself. When I told her we would have Baylee- the girl who normally cuts her hair- fix it. She looked at me puzzled and said, "Baylee doesn't need to fix it. I like it." Well that makes one of us! I have decided she was going for one of two looks. Either she is single-handedly trying to bring back the Dorothy Hamill do, which truth be told was my hairstyle of choice in the late 70's and early 80's. Or she is going for a lady-style mullet. Maybe we could call it a mulleta. But when I asked her why she cut her hair she said because it was in getting in her face. I guess I can't fault her for that. That is one of the reasons I cut my hair short too. And who knows maybe she has found her calling in life at 3 years old. She really did do a good job of making a nice line from her bangs down to the back of her hair and on both sides too. And today she hasn't had any hair cutting remorse. She still loves it!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Natalie said...

yes, I agree with Missy, what was bound to happen? I'm on the edge of my seat....

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

It sounds like you handled little miss with candor and no beatings. Or screaming. You are a good mother. And that frontal picture of her with that cute smile is adorable. . . .I've always loved a mullet. But I'm the only one in the world, apparently. And her hair doesn't look like a mullet, it's more of a pixie, which fits her personality to a T!

Thelissa said...

Oh Boy! This is an event we have yet to experience. Savannah cut a tiny piece one time, but even I couldn't tell. So I am not counting that. I do have to say that it is funny she evened up both sides. At least shes efficient!

Julie said...

lol, I actually love it. She looks so cute. Maybe Katie could cut my hair next time.

Allison said...

From the pictures, it actually doesn't look that bad! Oh Katie. I remember doing the same thing to my bangs because they were getting too long, and they ended up ridiculously short, but I wasn't proud of it. I told my mom that nothing happened. That lie didn't go too far! :)

Jennifer Never said...

The Mulleta. Cowboy boots at church. Cords in 90 degree weather. Now I don't know if I like Fin or Katie better!!

Kate said...

oh, I'm not looking forward to that day. your new pic is awesome of everyone! You look mah-ve-lous.

Unknown said...

I'm actually impressed--not bad for a 3-year-old!

Crissy said...

Oh my! She has a hidden talent....I guess!! But, the good news is she love it right? And, we know it will grow....again. Bummer for you because I know what you wet through to get those darm bangs to grow out in the first place!! Hang in there. I still am nominating you for mother of the year! You've earned it!! XXX OOO

Kevin Pratt said...

I was going to say...it looks pretty even to me. It also looks exactly like my hair did from the time I was 3 until I was 13. She is so stinkin' cute that it just doesn't matter what she does to her hair...throw some gum into it because it just won't matter.

Kevin Pratt said...

P.S...love the new family pic!

Tamra said...

Oh my biggest fear! At least her hair wasn't her only beauty! I am sure it will happen to me one day.

Emmie-Lew said...

LOVE it! She's hilarious! You're such a good Mom.