Sunday, July 20, 2008

Zucchini out the wazihinni


Yes, that is how I feel. Its that time of year again when everyone locks their cars at church so they don't end up with any "charitable" contributions of zucchini left in them. I have already been inundated with "altrustic" offerings of bountiful zuccihini from family and neighbors. But I have to put my foot down and say "no"! I have enough, thank you. Already we have had zuccihini 4 ways this week alone. Don't get me wrong- I love zucchini, but my garden provides me with sufficient for my needs. But I did want to share the ways we have enjoyed it this week. It is the season for putting zucchini into any and everything- sometimes the zucchini is out in the open revealing its true self and sometimes it has gone incognito. First- out in the open- Easy enough- I put it in a salad today with dinner and last night I made a really good pasta with it. I found the recipe on Pioneer Woman Cooks- I just added her link on the right. All her recipes are amazing- although I did alter it a little because I don't drink wine and I didn't have any arrowroot. If you really are interested in how I changed it - let me know, because otherwise I won't go into the boring details for those who don't enjoy cooking. Although I suppose if you don't enjoy cooking- you probably wouldn't bother to take the time to read a whole post on zucchini! Either way here is a picture I took of my lovely zucchini pasta dish.



Now the incognito ways- (for my sister- "incognito" means in disguise-:). First I grate up the zucchini like this:



Then I sprinkle it into any dish that can handle its stealthiness. For us this week it was a scrambled egg dish and spaghetti. My minions were never the wiser, but unfortunately I still have 2 zucchini sitting on my counter. So if you come to my house be warned- you will probably be offered a zucchini- but of course only out of the goodness of my heart!

Wow- did I really just do a whole post on zucchini. Man it must be a slow Sunday! But if you do have any good ideas for eating zucchini- let me know. And don't be sayin' zucchini bread. I know that one already!

8 comments:

Thelissa said...

My zucchini hasn't even grown yet. The plants themselves have, but no squash! I'm jealous!

One way we love to eat it is:
Slice zucchini, coat in flour, coat in egg, coat in italian seasoned bread crumbs, place in hot oil and fry. Once browned good, place on paper towel and sprinkle with alt on both sides. It is so good! Maybe not as healthy as some of the others, but it is a tasty alternative when you've got it in such abundance!

Julie said...

I just eat like a carrot....yummy!

amberjill said...

speaking of PW, she just posted another zucchini recipe! I have a lasagna recipe that calls for zucchini and eggplant that I think is delicious. Oh yes, and my Power Enchiladas,mmmmmmm yummmmm!!! Get cookin woman and invite us over!!

Tamra said...

Grated zuchinni hides really well in hamburgers or turkey burges. I load them up with tons of diced veggie, my kids and most importantly never notice. The pasta looks fabulous, I will have to try it. I miss my garden. Hopefully next year the yard will be functioning enough to have a real garden.

Anonymous said...

i have 2 things to say:
1. i have had thelissa's fried zucchini-mmmm good:)
2. i knew incognito all on my own- BUT i haven't ever heard "minion" before. i did use my detective skills and figured it out with context clues:)

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

I was stalking your sister's blog today and she had two good posts, recently, much better than your zuchinni one (ha, ha) . . . The photo of her husband, and of you in the 5K were priceless. . .

Lori said...

Okay if the neighbors are giving you too much zucchini, tell them to bring it to my house. We can never get enough of it here! We've been enjoying some of Peterson's, but we are always open for more!

Amber said...

Wow, you sound like the zuchinni expert. Finn wouldn't let us plant it in our garden this year becuase he knew he would get it from everyone else. He was right-our R.S. pres. was driving her mini-van around the neighborhood last week handing the stuff out by the bagful.
We slice, marindae and then grill-yum!