Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Where did this kid come from?


I know I have blogged before about my oldest and only son- Finn and what a good kid he is. With 3 active, willful younger sisters, he can really be a saving grace to me at times. I have to be careful though because he is so responsible and I don't want to take advantage of that and expect too much from him. He still needs to be a kid and be able to whine, complain and mess up like the rest of them. But often he does things that surprise me. For example, we have a "bread" store right down the street that just carries bread products. Sometimes I will run out of bread or need buns for dinner and I will send Finn with a couple of bucks to the bread store. This is one "chore" he loves doing- I imagine because it makes him feel older- something only he can do right now. So today I was making BBQ chicken sandwiches, but didn't have any buns. I gave Finn $5 and asked him to go to the bread store. He asked if he could get a small treat if there was any money left over. I said yes and off he went. About 15 minutes later he comes home with a loaf of bread. I thanked Finn for the bread and asked him if he remembered that I wanted buns. He smiled and said, "Oh yeah." Then I was looking at the receipt and noticed he had bought something else besides the bread. I asked him what else he bought- fully expecting him to show me some package of donuts or cookies. But this is what he lifted up instead:




I couldn't help laughing and ask, "Why did you buy that?" He responded, "Because I could carry home the bread easier and then I can use the bag again." Well now- not only is he responsible, he is also environmentally conscious! I did have to send him again with another $5 to buy buns. This time he came home with this:


Okay- so he's not perfect! He gets the idea of a reuseable bag in theory, but not quite yet in practice!

15 comments:

amberjill said...

Kari that is awesome! I love that he had Suzy on his back! Was that last weeks hike? You are so awesome! And I love how you play soccer, YOU ROCK!! I know I giggle about how you play, but at the end of the game I'm the one icing my leg!! :)

Anonymous said...

yea! a new post. we have to be happy about the little things in life these days:) and your post is that for me today:) And what a responsible, good boy you are raising:)

Thelissa said...

That is cute of him. Love that you have a helper like that. Wish I did. Wish I had a bread store close too! Mmmm.

Natalie said...

Awww, look at him all grown up and savin China. The Safety Sheriff now has another title the Enviromental Sheriff. I sure do love that boy. And the rest of the red headed little people in your house.

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

That is so cute, We are like Finn, we keep buying all kinds of bags, in the hopes of using them. But then we loose them. We have 4 library bags and a few shopping bags and can't find ONE! Good think we have so many plastic bags!

Allison said...

That is so great! You can't make that kind of stuff up. I love that Finn is so responsible and can be such a help for you. I don't so much see Jacob heading that direction, but we'll cross our fingers for Will!

Julie said...

I so badly want one of those bags. Tell Finn he can get me one next time he goes to the store. Our future prophet is coming along nicely. Well done, mother. I agree with Amber...I love playing soccer with you! I am so excited about this season.

Jennifer Never said...

I am laughing out loud...still. That is great! He is such a great kid Kari!!

Kamille said...

Oh my. Lol!!! I ilove your Finn from this post alone. You are such an amazing mom. keep up the good work.

Kate said...

He looks so much like Matt in that picture!

Amber said...

go finnie!
How lucky you are to have such a helper. that would be a cute story to tell at his wedding dinner later on-saving the earth one trash bag at a time!

Crissy said...

He came from his wonderful parents who I adore. He is just like the two of you. And someone has to help balance out the 3 red headed amigos he lives with. Heavenly Father gave him an inner "Zen" to deal with them! They are stinkin' cute though! Love you!

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

Hey, I read your post to Damian last night. I think he got more enjoyment out of me cracking up so hard. And today, I copied an older post of yours. Pretty much word for word. So thanks!

Tamra said...

That is so funny. I'd laugh if I didn't do the exact same thing today. I got to the grocery store and realized I have forgotten all my bags because I'd brought the other car (they are stored in the back of my van). Luckily for me I had been wanting to by several more though, so I just purchased my bags.

I struggle with the same thing though. I am constantly remiding myself not to put too much on my oldest and very responsible son and not to be too hard on him for his whiney moments because despite his maturity, he is still a kid

Kevin Pratt said...

Please will you let Finn marry Malery? I mean, will you make him?