Monday, June 2, 2008

You Know it's Summer When...

Today is the first official day of summer and I really wish I could be like those mothers who love having their kids home all summer, but unfortunately I'm not. I'm trying really hard to enjoy them and not get too caught up in all the messes they create constantly. So in honor of my trying to turn over a new leaf and live in the moment, I have made a "You Know it's Summer When..." list so instead of bottling up my feelings of frustration, I am expressing them through writing. (Look at all I am learning through therapy!:)) Here it goes:
You Know it's Summer When...
*You get to enjoy the aromatics of sweaty, stinky boys in your basement.
*the scissors are constantly sticky from cutting open "Otter-Pops."
*The front door, back door, garage door and basement door are all open at the same time. Do we really need to cool the whole outside too?
*At any given moment there are 10 plus cups sitting on the kitchen counters from kids getting drinks and feeling the need to get a new cup every stinkin time. Where's my sharpie so I can label cups for each kid- for cryin out loud?!?
*Every TV is on, but no one is watching.
*Piles of stuff everywhere- shoes, wrappers, balls, towels, hair bows, stickers, books- whatever!
*You find a sundry of mysterious sticky spots on your floor no matter how many times you clean it.
* Bedtime is whenever your kids fall asleep while watching a movie.
*You clear the neighborhood pool because your 1 year old threw up in it. This may not be a benchmark for summer for all of you, but it was for me today. My sister and I have decided to get a membership to the neighborhood pool and take our kids a couple times a week. We tried to start the summer off right by going today. After much "herding of cats" (i.e.- getting a combined 13 kids to the pool with the appropriate paraphernalia-towels, bathing suits, swim diapers, snacks, money for snacks, sunscreen, goggles, swimsuit cover-ups, etc.) we finally get in the pool with the babies. I found out today Suzie is a pool kamikaze. She just went wadding into the water up to her eyebrows with no thought at all. Everytime I pulled her face out of the water- about 20 times in the first 5 minutes- she came up smiling and laughing. Unfortunately one time she was laughing at the same moment water went into her mouth and she started choking, then coughing, then hurling. ("If you're gonna spew, spew in here." Name that movie!) Despite my sister's suggestion to "just swirl it around", a lifeguard also caught this and the pool had to be closed for 30 minutes while they cleaned it up. Annie of course started announcing to everyone that it was Suzie who threw up. I told her to simmer down. We didn't want to start a lynching! But it all turned out fine and if this sounds like fun to anyone else- you are welcome to join us!
*Your kids can be entertained by the silliest things... for example today my kids and some neighbors took a bucket and filled it with water. Then they swung it around and around and released it. The other kids tried to catch it and thought it was hilarous to get wet.
Ok- so they're not all bad. I realize that kids need this time to unwind and relax. I think I just need to find a way to do the same. I am getting better though. But I did have a Shel Silverstein moment today. I love Shel Silverstein poems and think there is poem for every childhood moment. Here is the one I related with today:
There's too many kids in this tub.
There's too many elbows to rub.
I just washed a behind,
that I'm sure wasn't mine.
There's too many kids in this tub.
I was giving Katie a bath and noticed how red her back was. I could have sworn I put sunscreen on her. But I asked her if I had. She said, "No. I wasn't listening to you and just went in the pool."
There's too many kids to lotion up.
There's too many elbows to rub....

14 comments:

Crissy said...

By running, I hope you mean occasional jogging with a lot of powerwalking in between. If that's what you mean...I would love to do the Murray 5K with you. By, the way.....I miss you. I am going to have a bit of free time in the next couple of weeks as I transition to my new gig. Any chance of an outing?? I promise no otter pops and no puking in the pool. (I try NEVER to swim in public since people stopped swimming fully clothed.) Love ya!

Thelissa said...

I always love your posts. So great.

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

So many of these really hit home, especially the cups and scissors. This made me laugh out loud, you are still my blog hero and I hope to achieve posts that make people laugh someday. It's my driving ambition in life. Forget about motherhood, etc. I just want to have a funny blog, like Kari's!

Julie said...

My doors are constantly open and I am ready to kill everyone over it. I will be really upset when the flies start coming in to the house.

amberjill said...

sounds like you had a monday! just like I wished you. however, it sounds like the summer might be all mondays...

Unknown said...

Kari, you nailed it again! Thanks for the hilarious post!

Lisa said...

Wayne's world!!! Joe and I say that all the time! LOVE the post. You have a gift for writing...

youreprettytoo said...

Ding, ding, ding-Lisa! You got it. Let's tell her what she's won...Nothing really- just the pride of being the first to name random movie trivia! I hear we are going to play soccer together- so fun!

Lori said...

You are the Best Mom!!! Enjoy every moment because kids are what make life great!

Kelly said...

I totally relate to the sticky scissors. I swear I wash those things 10 times a day. One of my you-know-it's-summer things is you never know exactly how many neighborhood kids are in your house at one time. I do love summer. Much better than the stress of the school year.

Kate said...

Since I don't have kids in school yet, this is my house all the freakin' time!!!
love ya! Great post. so true.

Jennifer Never said...

Oh!!!!...You guys are playing soccer again!!!! What a good time that was! Your blog is one of my favorites, and my soul sighed when you mentioned your "Shel Silverstein moment". One of the greatest poets ever if you ask me and I was obsessed with reading his books as a kid! I sure do hope I find a Kari here, but I doubt I will. I don't know if anyone can dance like you, shoot like you, share cherries so well ;) or even text like you for that matter. And I KNOW no one will ever hear me like you do!! We'll have a great time in NY!!! I love you man...(sniff, sniff)

Andrea said...

I thought I knew what you were talking about with just my kids, but now I have five extra for the month. I seemed to forget sunscreen all together, so now one of the kids has huge blisters from his sunburn, unfortunatly it wasn't one of my kids. Atleast you get some of your kids rubbed down.

Amber said...

The vomit in the pool cracks me up :) I hope you are still focusing on the positive events by the end of summer!