Sunday, February 1, 2009

Week of January 26th- February 1st

I'm in a bit of a writing funk and can think of no clever ways to describe the events of the past week, but I feel they must be documented and recorded so sorry if you came looking for a funny or witty story- it just ain't gonna happen this time. Unfortunately this post is all about obligation and my motherly instinct /guilt to get my family's events recorded. I just reread that and it is a pretty pathetic introduction to the first event- so sorry Suzie if you are reading this 20 years from now and feel like your 2nd birthday wasn't inspiration enough for me. You are my favorite 2 year old ever and have the most kissable cheeks imaginable. So Happy 2nd Birthday Suzie.



We celebrated by having beignets- French donuts we got introduced to in New Orleans and bought some mix while there- for breakfast. Suzie and I got to go to McDonalds for lunch with some friends- well really they are my friends and just happen to have kids Suzie's age so it worked out well. There are no pictures to document this event because my other kids don't know about it and would have been livid to think they missed a celebratory trip to McDonalds. So there is no evidence. Plus they were all in school and what they don't know won't hurt them.

That night we went bowling per everyone but Suzie's request. But I think she had a good time. Although I don't think she quite caught on to the concept of the game. She thought it was great fun to put the ball up on the little stand and push it. But then she would turn around and say, "I did it." without bothering to see if she knocked any pins down. Finn kept trying to get her to actually watch the ball go down the lane. I was very impressed with her ability to to lift the ball herself and put it on the stand. I mean, really, you try bowling with a ball that is a 1/3 of your weight.



We came home and admidst the crys of protest by my other children for not having a full-on birthday party with family over, enjoyed a Snickers cake again chosen by everyone but Suzie. So Suzie, I hope you enjoyed your day that wasn't really about you!But that is the great thing about being young and dumb- you don't know any different and really every day is about you!


We also had another signifcant event this week- Finn's first time actually participating in the Pinewood Derby. Technically it is the second time he has entered, but the first time he got to go. If you would like to read about what that really means-click here. He found the Pinewood Derby like putting on a pair of well-worn slippers- it was made just for him. It was right up his alley and he loved every minute of it. His car was named "Dollar Short" because when they weighted it in it was too light and they had to glue 4 quarters to the bottom of it to make it legit and anyone who has been to a Pinewood Derby knows the importance of being legit!

It had a "U" theme and was going to have a leftover "U" tattoo from the Sugar bowl put on the side, but "someone" threw it away in an effort to declutter the countertop before she knew it was intended for this purpose. But luckily Eric doesn't read my blog so he doesn't know "someone" did this and when he was looking for it, "someone" even pretended to look for it too-knowing full-well it was securely in the city dump. Ooops! Look what happens when I try to organize my house! Anyway even without the "U" emblem- it was a winning ride.
He won 2nd place for the 2nd year in a row. He only has one more year to try for the "big enchilada." And I must say, Eric looks real "sezzy" in his scout uniform!;)
And on a final note for the week, I was downloading my pictures and found a whole assortment of pictures like this one on my camera.

My kids love Aunt Nanny and I love "Happy Tuesdays" when Natalie comes over and watches my kids for a couple of hours so I can run errands by myself. Between my sister, Michelle and I Natalie won't have to raise her firstborn with all the babysitting hours she will have accumulated with us.

10 comments:

Lori said...

If when you are not trying to write great entries, you succeed! Why didn't I know about the Pinewood Derby since I am supposedly over scouts!

Stephanie said...

so cute, Kari. My two-year-old girl is named Natalie and she calls herself "Nanny" too. Fun to see your family and "watch" you be a mom.

Paul said...

Ohhh, what's "Happy Tuesday"? I want one! By the sounds of it, I REALLY want one! Lucky you every Tuesday!

Paul said...

This is Thelissa, not Paul

Julie said...

First of all...IF in 20 years when Suzie reads this she won't be sad at all about her 2nd birthday, but she might take offense to being called Young and Dumb!! Why on Happy Tuesday don't we take off and do something completely UNPRODUCTIVE!!

Natalie said...

What a couple of fine looking uvulas. :) Looking forward to being bossed around tomorrow. I sure love those babes.

Anonymous said...

I just have to say one thing about that snickers cake- I sounds real good, BUT my family bought that exact kind for my b-day and it looks much better than it tastes. So, in other words, I'm glad I didn't have to eat that cake:)- no offense Quinton!

youreprettytoo said...

Michelle- I agree completely about that cake. It was nasty tasting and Natalie- I beg your pardon- uvulas sounds kind of naughty!

mama missy said...

Another Great blog, but I think have such great subjects to work with. So fun for us to keep up with all of you.

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

Loved this. . . I love how you were honest about how her bday wasn't about her and I totally understand. . .been there, done that. And the pinewood derby. . . too fun, and I love how Aunt Nanny days are called Happy Tuesdays (actually, am I right, my memory can't think back to 15 seconds ago when I just read the post) anyway, love you, s