Sunday, November 16, 2008

48 years of Friendship and counting

Three weeks ago I went to California to visit two of my oldest and dearest friends- Lisa and Lara. I talk about these two friends a lot, so I thought I would introduce them to you.

This is Lisa- Lisa Bay to those who know her in California. But I have known her since she was 6 years old and she hated her middle name "Bay" back then so I believe I am the only one who can call her just Lisa. We have been friends for 28 years- through elementary school, middle school- that's what it was called in Georgia- high school, college and all the years beyond. How many people can claim that! This is her at Norcross High School cheering on the mighty Blue Devils.

This is Lara- Oofer K. Johnson to only me and I know I am the only one who can call her that! We meet when we were 14 years old and had 3 classes together our sophomore year. Those were some good times- way too many memories to bore everyone else with here- but let's just say we thought we were hilarous! This is her playing basketball for the mighty Lady Blue Devils. Please note that I did not include an early nineties big haired sporty picture of myself because a.) I did not have big hair, b.) I was not what you would call "sporty" in high school- my sports career consisted of church basketball and a one week stint on the track team- and c.) I think I have included enough embarrassing pictures of myself on my blog to last a lifetime, but I'm sure Lisa and Lara are very glad I began my introduction of them with those pictures. Here are some more:

This picture is of Lisa and I when we were in Brownies together in Florida. I am the one holding a book in the middle with the glasses- beauty, eh! Lisa in the middle one on the front row with the extra pins on her uniform and the sassy yarn ribbon on her shoulder. Its pretty safe to assume that these were symbols of her going above and beyond in her Brownie duties! Lisa has always been an overachiever- but it takes one to know one and I think we are both working on that one!

This is Lara and I posing with IBC root beer bottles on Lara's high school ride- aka- "The Bruised Banana." If either one of us decides to quit our day-jobs- being a car model is a fairly safe bet for us to fall back on! It is still a mystery to us why we didn't have a date to the Homecoming Dance. In fact I believe this picture was taken on said "Homecoming Night" when we didn't need those lame dates and created our own fun. I'm just wondering when pleated, high-waisted pants are going to come back in. We rocked those!

This is the three of us, as Seniors, after we schooled the Juniors in Powder Puff football. (And by "we" I mean everyone else...notice how Lisa and Lara's black face paint is smudged from sweat and mine is still perfectly in tact. Oh- I forgot to put the powder puff game on my above- mentioned illustrious sports high school career list!)

Here we are with our boyfriends- well not really- but we talked a lot about this event- Lisa's 17th birthday surprise- during my recent visit to CA so I had to put this picture on.

Here we are at our high school graduation. Look at all that "honors" flare! Yea- we were all pretty much nerds and just in case that was up for debate- just check out our matching white flats.

Even though after high school we all went to different colleges, we stayed in contact and saw each other quite a bit for living across the country. The summer after we all graduated from college Lisa and Lara made a cross-country trip and stopped to pick me up. We then went up to Jackson Hole and Yellowstone. This picture was taken in Jackson Hole.
We really have been very good about getting together and making girls' trips a priority. This is us in the summer of 2005 at Eric's family cabin up near Park City. This is our version of Glamour shots or as we like to call them- "Laquisha Senior Pictures."
This is us at Panama City Beach back in 1991...

And this is us at Santa Monica Beach in October 2008! We were hot then and if I do say so myself- we are hot now! I really love and adore these two incredibly strong women. Besides my siblings, they have seen me through more stages of life than anyone. They are two of the most loving, authentic, caring and passionate people I know. Even though our daily lives are extremely different we all love, respect and support each other in our varying journeys. They have helped me become who I am. Here's to 48 more years of combined friendship. I can guarantee we will be doing Girls' trips when we are in our 80's! I'll be bringing the new recipes for everyone to try, Lara will bring the gifts from Mother Earth and Lisa will be making sure we are all on track with our lifetime goals and dreams. Thank you ladies for making me a better person. I love you!

14 comments:

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

That was SWEET!! The hair, the flats, the memories!! Some of those photos were pretty FAMILIAR, I'm wondering if you had the up in your dorm room in '93 when I met you. I'm so glad you could take that trip. . .We are going next week to Jim & Kate Watkins, so that'll be a barrel of ol' time laughs and fun. Damian will probably laugh so hard he'll make the whimpering sound I love.

amberjill said...

that was awesome! especially the sweet pose in your swimsuit!! nice "french cut!" i guess i approve of these friends, they seem fun! and, if they can get you to go out and buy "clubbing clothes" then i think you should keep them!! :)

Sestra Robbins said...

What a great tribute to 2 wonderful, supportive firends!! I love them and you.

Sestra Robbins said...

What a beautiful and fun tribute to two wonderful and supportive friends. I love them and you.!!!!

Liz said...

So cute....you guys are adorable!
I would love your recipes (if you have time), even though they were tainted with mean political undertones =-)

Anonymous said...

I can see one more thing in that last picture that is different besides the frizzy, big, 80s hair:)

youreprettytoo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kerry said...

Back to me! ;)

Jennifer Never said...

How old are you? ;) That's awesome you guys are all still friends, and you are all pretty too! Miss ya...love ya! Can we please start planning a big girls trip???!!!

Julie said...

Awesome tribute to some great ladies I have heard a lot about. You are such a good friend...and a hot one at that. I too especially love the sexxy swimsuit.

Natalie said...

Did you notice that you put 48 instead of 28 years of friendship? Are you older than I think you are? Are you Mom's age? Are you really the mother?

youreprettytoo said...

Yes- I realize I put 48 years of friendship. I have been friends with Lisa for 28 years and with Lara for 20 years. So that would mean a COMBINED total of 20+28=48!

Natalie said...

oh i see...

Tamra said...

I loved the post. What a fun walk down memory lane. I have one friend that I've stayed close to since middle school too and it is the greatest friendship-it just always picks up where we left it last. Thanks for the great photos. I am rooting for the high waisted pleated pants to come back in to-oh wait they are back in, they are called maternity clothes and I am wearing them.