Thursday, October 9, 2008

"If all your natural instincts have been wrong, then the opposite must be right."- Seinfeld

This is a lesson I have had to learn this year. Without going into too much detail, I have come to the realization that some of my thinking and actions have not been the most beneficial for myself or my loved ones and this year I have had to not only learn this, but also put it into practice. This is no easy task I tell you. But let me give you an example- last week was my birthday. (I know, I know- I'm a week late posting this- but I'm a recovering perfectionist, so I am OK with that!) Anyway, in the past I have just sat back and waited for other people to recognize my birthday and for the most part I have been fine with it. But this year I knew I had to do something different. I decided I was worth celebrating in a fashion I enjoyed- man even typing that is hard! Why do we women think we have to do so much for everyone else and not take the time to recognize what we like and who we are? I suppose that is a post for another day because I just wanted to share my little "breakthrough" in planning and carrying out my own birthday party ever. Yes, I am 34 and this is the first time I have thrown myself a party and I must say it was a damn fun party. And yes, it has been my natural instinct to swear and if that is wrong, I don't wanna be right! I gathered together my sistas both literally and figuratively and had a night on the town. So here is what a group of moderately conservative women with a combined total of 34 children do to celebrate my 34th birthday.

They eat incredible food at "Epic."

They go to a silly play called "Scary Poppins." I love plays and have enjoyed Desert Star Theatre before. This one was cute, but the company was a lot more entertaining.
They just have fun being together.

And although these last two pictures would indicate otherwise, they don't drink!:)

I know a few of my friends felt a little weird, like they should have been the ones planning my birthday, but this was honestly something I needed to do and I'm glad I did it. I am so thankful for all these wonderful women who surround me and make me a better person. I love them all dearly. Just wait until next year when I have learned even more life-changing ideas and put them into practice at my birthday party. Bring on the mid-thirties!

11 comments:

Julie said...

You really know how to throw an awesome party. And you even invite cool people. I am still thinking and my mouth is watering for that flat bread. I think we should go back some day and just get flat bread. It was amazing. Thank you for turning 34. I really hope you had a Happy Birthday!

Thelissa said...

OK, now I am offended.I wasn't invited. (sigh) But if I had come there would have been 38 children between all the mothers and that would have ruined your cool "34 children for your 34 birthday" thing. I can see why you didn't invite me. :) Totally makes sense now.

Unknown said...

Happy birthday, Kari! You look great and I'll be damned if you don't throw a fabulous party. Good for you!!

amberjill said...

That was seriously such a fun night. I say next year we throw you a surprise birthday party! oooopps! I guess you have a year to practice your surprised face! :)

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

Happy Birthday HOT MAMMA!! Wish I could have been there! xoxoxox

kto1s said...

Happy birthday, Kari! Now, let us all have a moment of silence every Tues night to commerate the emptiness we'll feel without soccer in our lives. You're the best!

Kate said...

Good for you! And you look way hot miss Kari! You go girl!

Allison said...

Seriously, that was a fun party. Makes me want to plan myself a party next year!

Natalie said...

Yes, I agree with all of the above comments. You do throw a !@#$ good party. Thanks for including me. Your list was pretty exclusive, for pete's sake you almost didn't even include Mom! :) I love you! And I love Eric for sportin the bill.

Anonymous said...

yea missy- it was a good time- AND i got to "network" with my favorite teacher ever. now i know i don't have to be crazy mother with the teacher and the principal at back to school night next year cause she told me she would take my twins. and of course i LOVED the food-as always. i laughed out loud that you almost didn't invite mom- hee hee:)

Kevin Pratt said...

Happy Birthday...do you feel so liberated? I should throw myself a party, too! Great idea.