Friday, March 27, 2009

Reasons Why I Love March

Now that March is almost over I thought I would expound upon why I love the month of March. These aren't listed in order of importance or significance to me, but rather in chronological order.




1. Girl scout cookies. They arrive at the beginning of the March just when you have forgotten that you have ordered them. Nothing makes your day more than getting a boatload of Girl Scout cookies you ordered back in January. I am fortunate to have a Girl Scout live across the street from me. The year I moved into this house my neighbor brought a welcome basket that contained among other things a box of thin mints. I asked her where she got the thin mints and she told me her daughter was a girl scout. I must have had a very visceral reaction to this information because every year since then, I am the first person she comes to sell to.



2."My annual proving to myself that I am physically stronger than I thought" or the Moab Canyonlands Half Marathon. I have done this three times with my family and each year I surprise myself that I can in fact run 13.1 miles and not die. I have even improved my time every year. I do not consider myself very athletic or sporty and one of my biggest regrets from high school is that I quit the cross-country team after about 2 weeks. I wonder if I had been more self- disciplined in the physical department when I was young, I could be more athletically inclined now. But that is water under the bridge and I am hear to tell all you non-runners, if I can do it ANYONE can! There really is something fulfilling about training and finishing a race like this. There really are many life lessons you can learn from running. One I learned about myself is that I am not the fastest or most competitive runner out there. But I am consistent. I don't start out really fast or really sprint at the end or run for while then walk. I begin at a good even pace and I can keep it up the entire race. I believe that this is reflected in my personality and character. I'm not flashy or an all or nothing person. But I am dependable and I can keep my head down and finish the race. I think this trait is very much needed in my life right now.
Anyway it was a fun weekend and one I needed. There is no one I laugh more with than my family. We collectively found out that running loosens up several parts of your body- from your mouth on down!


3. Celebration of the day I became a mother. Finn made me a mother 10 years ago on March 22nd. It blows me away that I have a 10 year old son. I have very vivid memories of being 10 so I better be careful about what I say and do! It is so rewarding and fun to watch Finn turn into a young man. He has always been responsible and he is incredibly helpful. But recently his sense of humor has really been developing and he is coming out if his shell. It is also fun to watch him forming his own opinions and making connections. For example last week we were watching Biggest Loser and it was weigh-in time. Finn and Annie were talking about who the contestants reminded them of- family or friends. It was Filipe's turn to weigh-in and they were asking him how he felt. He said something about being grateful for his blessings. Then after his weigh-in when he hadn't lost very much weight the host again asked him how he felt about it. He responded that he has to look for the sunshine where he can find it. After this I told Finn and Annie that Filipe and Sion were members of the same church as us. Finn exclaimed, "I knew it!" I said, "How did you know it?" He said, "Because he was talking about sunshine and blessings and being grateful, stuff you hear in church talks." Then later in the show Filipe again was talking about following your heart. After this comment, Finn again piped up, "See Mormons are always talking about their hearts!" Very true.
4. Besides my firstborn, there are many people who are near and dear to me that celebrate their birthdays in March. So Happy Birthday to Susan, Amber, Jessica and Julie. I hope you love the month of March as much as I do.
5. Julie's sister-in-law, Jackie, changed my cell phone so I have predictive text... it has literally changed my life and made my texting response time a notch above slower than molasses!

11 comments:

Stephanie said...

You can NOT have a 10-year old. Did you start having children when you were twelve? No wait, I knew you then. Crazy. And so proud of you for the Moab thing. You ALMOST inspire me to take up running.

Liz said...

I think you deserve a medal for being a mother of four and finishing the 1/2. You look GREAT!! Congratulations- I am soooo impressed.

Stacey said...

I am totally with you on the girl scout cookie thing... Remember when we were back in apt. 10 and I was so angry that little girl knocked on our door, interrupting my nap, UNTIL I realized she was selling girl scout cookies? That was something worth waking up for :)

Anonymous said...

1 question... visceral?- can't even use context clues this time!

youreprettytoo said...

Definition of a visceral response- gut or instinctive, not intellectual

My Favorite Things said...

Kari, I need help on the running thing!!! When do you have time to train? Do you do it indoor or out? I reeally need to know! Cousin Chandra

Natalie said...

Come on Missy, you know what visceral means from nursing school! I'll use it in a sentence. A risk for heart failure is having a large amount of visceral fat.
I also love March for those reasons. Especially all the good times we have in Moab. (Except Matt doesn't really have good times)

Anonymous said...

first of all- I knew that visceral meant in the abdomen- but I couldn't make that work in that sentence. But, gut instinct- I get it! And p.s. I wish I had less visceral fat!

Sestra Robbins said...

Look at all of you explaining visceral to each other. March is a good month!!!

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

Wow, what a month. . .and I just want you to know. . . I told you last year after your race that I was inspired and going to do one. . .well, I did a 10K this month. I ran 6 eleven min. miles and now I'm trying to decide if I'll do another 10K in April. . . or a 10 mile. There are two races here and I can pick one. I might just stick with 10K. Anyway, I thought you'd be proud of your little protegy!! (sp?) xoxox, and happy birthday to your boy! We're gonna be in Utah for 3 weeks this summer and we really need to get together! S

Kamille said...

Good job on your race!!! I was wanting to ask more details last time we talked but the coversations always run wild at cooking club. Glad I had a place to get more info. Happy 10th year of mothering too!!!