Sunday, May 18, 2008

"I've got my country's 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder and Guilder to frame for it; I'm swamped."

Okay- so I know I have been the lamest blogger on earth recently. I don't know if anyone even reads it anymore except my sister and mom -and I may have even lost their readership as well, but I swear this time of year can be even more crazy than the holidays- with all the rectials, end of year programs, mother's day, field trips, spring sports and everyone wanting to throw in one last activity before the summer. (Which by the way scares the bugebees out of me- having my kids home all summer.) And on top of it all Eric and I went to Cancun, Mexico last week and I know what you're thinking- "Waa, waa- it must be so hard to have a week in paradise." And it wasn't , but it was crazy getting ready for it and now I am paying the price for having gone. But I think right now is a good time to use a quote my friend Liz put on her blog awhile ago when she was getting ready for a trip to Mexico. "My wallet's too small for my fifties and my diamond shoes are too tight." I think the original source of that quote is "Friends", but it fits so well when one is complaining about getting to take the time to go on a completely relaxing trip without any children. Now you know I have plenty of info to blog about from Cancun, but this will have to do for now- I cried like a baby on Friday night because I didn't want to come back to my life. No joke! I think I was meant to have the ocean out my front door and a cabana boy to fetch me towels, pina coladas and whatnot! And being the mother of 4, there is no easing back into life when you come home from a vacation. You walk in the door and BAM- you have diapers coming out your front door and you're fetching chocolate milk, laundry and whatnot! The one consolation I did have in all this is when I got home I found my sister and brother-in-law in complete awe and exhaustion having done the job, I do basically alone, all week. I greatly appreciate them being tricked into watching our kids for a week- especially since they have no children and taking care of 4 kids under 9 for a week was a bit of a "baptism by fire" to say the least. They did a wonderful job- despite broken dishes, kids left at preschool, kids locked in bathrooms and deflated soccer balls-:)! Just teasing Natalie and J.J.! They were amazing and I was never worried for a second while on my trip. But I did smile a little inside when they talked about how hard it was and they didn't know how I did it. And sometimes I don't know how I do either, but I am grateful that I could have a week like last week to recharge me. Stay tuned for pictures and stories, but right now I think I hear one of those pina coladas calling me. Wait... no, its just another request for a sippy cup of juice. Oh well!

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a much-needed break. Glad you're back. Now put down that load of laundry and get bloggin, sister! You're fans are dying here...

Lori said...

Welcome back! I have missed reading your fun blog. It makes me feel better about my crazy life. I am glad you had a good time.

Liz said...

Get some rest....if you don't have your health, you don't have anything! ( I love quoting P.B.)

Kelly said...

I'm still reading your blog! I have been wondering where you went to, and I'm glad it was somewhere fabulous.

Thelissa said...

Oh, glad to have you back. I feel your pain, even though I haven't escaped "the life" for a great trip. Sometimes I would love to hand over the daily tasks and kids to my sister or even my hubby and walk out for a day. The real purpose in this would simply be so that someone says, "Holy Cow, I had no idea how hard your work!" Vindication I guess! Anyway, glad you got away for awhile and glad you are back.

Julie said...

I saw your sister Michelle at Costco on Thursday...and I couldn't hold my feelings in...all of a sudden I just burst out... "I miss Kari don't you?" I know if anyone uderstood my tender feelings for you she would. I really can't live with out you! I am happy you had your cabana boy to run and get you towells and pina coloda's. My vacation was fun..but not relaxing in the least. I need a few days to sleep so I can attack my mess of a house and get things in order again.

Amber said...

Hooray for JJ and Natalie! I was praying for them all week-REALLY!

Anonymous said...

missy, I DO agree with Julie. I really missed pumping time. And, then today didn't get to hear chapter one- boo. Good thing pumping time is everyday 3xs a day. And as far as my cleavage- you're just jealous you didn't get this much:)

Lisa said...

I still read your blog, well, when you update it, that is. I'm glad you had fun on your vacation. Can't wait to see/hear all about it.

Natalie said...

Did you make sure that you wiped every bit of condensation off the sippy cup before giving it to Itty Bit? Missy, seriously, my respect for you and your life has increased a bajillion times. Good times were had last week, ah the memories,...Suzy locked in the bathroom, Annie going down the slide with Katie's pillow, Suzy pooping on JJ...twice, Finn cleaning the fish tank when he's supposed to be getting ready for school, both Katie and Annie crying as we were leaving Fat Cats (supposedly we were having "fun"), Annie trying to get out of school, carrying Katie kicking and screaming to joyschool, chasing Suzy and Katie all over the baseball diamond, forgetting to pick Katie UP from preschool, the beloved hour of 10:00 on Mondays/Tuesdays/Thursdays, the next beloved hour 9:00 pm, completely crashing at 9:30 pm, Suzy pulling anything and everything out of the cupboards, breaking plates, spilling juice on the carpet, the chaos that is the McDonald's playplace, JJ chasing Suzy all over Fat Cats, Katie getting so mad at me when I didn't pull the suburban into the garage because that's how her "mommy did it!", and my favorite memory of all is when you came HOME! :) Love your kids to death...and I'm sure glad you are back.

Tamra said...

The trip sounds like so much fun. You description of your return is do true-it is totally BAM right there again. Did you put a nanny cam in your house before you left, it would be so fun to watch a couple without kids be thrown into the deep end with four, how sweet of them to do that though, but still I would love to see the footage. Welcome home, I hope your trip carries you through to the next vacation.

Natalie said...

Well yes you did kind of have a "Nanny cam". :)

youreprettytoo said...

Touche, Natalie!

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

It's about time, Missy. I have missed you. I want you to check my blog, when you have time, because I was in the Bahamas, when you were in Mexico and my diamond shoes were hard to come back to. Wait, am I using that idea properly? You know what I'm trying to say. Love you, Sarah