Friday, February 15, 2008

Post Valentine's Day Analysis

I don't mind Valentine's Day, although I wouldn't call it my favorite holiday. I guess it is that streak of rebellion in me I probably got from my dad. I feel like saying to all those Hallmark/ Kay Jewelers/FTD floral people, etc.- "You're not the boss of me. You can't tell me when I can tell those I love how important they are to me." But there is one aspect of the holiday that I do love. It is a holiday that comes unexpectedly to my children. They forget to anticipate it and when it gets here they are pleasantly surprised. They aren't asking for stuff beforehand and they don't have to be warned to be good in order to get anything. It is a "no strings attached" holiday- for both them and me. I usually get them a gift, but it is not required. I don't feel obligated and they don't have to do anything to deserve it. I can get them something just because I want to and I love them. I don't get them anything fancy- this year it was just pajamas, but they were so excited and happy! Well everyone except Katie. I got her red pajamas and she kept screaming at me that she only likes pink and purple. But if I gauged my self-esteem as a mother based on Katie's reactions I would never get out of bed! But all this got me thinking about love in general. True love should really be "no strings attached." Because let's face it- we all do things to make us undeserving of the love we receive. But often we are pleasantly surprised at the love that is offered us in spite of what we do- but rather because of who we are and who we can be. And in having someone love us "warts and all" it allows who we can be to come through. I think we often forget to anticipate how much those around us truly love us and probably more importantly how much we can truly love others. So I guess if Valentine's Day can get me thinking this deeply about the meaning of love, I suppose its not such a bad holiday after all. Dangit- those Hallmark people got to me!:)

12 comments:

Emmie-Lew said...

They got to you BIG TIME- maybe you should become a Hallmark Writer! :) Great (over) analysis!

Tamra said...

"We all do things that make us undeserving of the love we receive." What a fabulous reminder to be more understanding of my sweet, dramatic girls momentary lapses that sometimes make me wonder why I try. But if I truly stop to think about it, I too (all too often) have momentary lapses! Thanks! Also I love the title of your blog. On those “low-self” esteem days, I will make sure just to visit to read the title.

Kerry said...

I love to read your blog...makes me remember why I absolutely loved having you as a roommate. :)

Unknown said...

Wow! That's deep! BTW. I have a picture of you and I in the hallway of Stover doing kissing lips. I will have to dig it up and post it. You know. For posterity (and the amusement of readers!)

Jennifer Never said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer Never said...

Definitely you should write for Hallmark...especially V-day cards!! I'd buy one even if it did cost 4.95. You're awesome!

Thelissa said...

Good post. Valentine's isn't really a big one for me either. I don't even expect flowers or anything even for myself. It just isn't a big thing for me. I'm with you though about the whole no strings attached kind of love though. Love that.

Oh, this is about the previous post about Annie and the womanly kissing lips! Where did you get this kid! She is soooo funny!

youreprettytoo said...

Amy- I think you should definitely post that picture of us doing the kissing lips- in fact I think I have a copy too. Also I have a friend who reads your blog and thinks you are hilarous. I agree!:)

Unknown said...

I will dig it up this weekend. Stay tuned...

Julie said...

Kari,
Have I ever told you how much I love you!!!

Kamille said...

I think the no strings attached thing is one of the reasons I love Valentines day. You don't have to do anything and if you choose to it makes you really cool. I love not evaluating yourself by your child's reaction too. I should try to keep this in the front of my mind when dealing with my Kate. I see you blocked anonymous too. I think it was a good call.

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

I now use your blog instead of opening itunes, my kids especially love dancing to Banjo Boy!! You crack me up! Sarah