Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Adventures in Vocabulary

You can tell I am learning about the importance of building up a young child's oral language and vocabulary when Suzie says to me, "Mom, if you don't read this book to me, I will literally kill you, literally." and I am more excited about the fact that she knows how to properly use the word "literally" than I am disturbed about the fact that she wants to end my existence.
Also another vocabulary highlight is this past weekend I finally learned the meaning of the word "shawty" in current hip-hop songs. I have heard it in many songs recently like "Shawty always burning on the dance floor." Or more often in the Justin Bieber song- "Shawty is an eenie-meenie-minnie-mo-lover." I was concerned it might be a dirty, vulgar or derogartory term (because even Suzie will sing the latter Justin Bieber phrase over and over again). But my young women came to my rescue this weekend at youth conference and informed me that it is just a slang term for "girl." Good to know cause I don't want to be like my mom and misuse it in my testimony by saying something like "I sure do love all my shawties." like my mom did when she was a seminary teacher and a group of boys told her that "bad-a" meant "bad attitude" so she proceeded to say across the pulpit when she was released "I will sure miss all my bad-a students." Then of course there was the "b----in'" incident. But we'll save that story for another installment of Adventures in Vocabulary.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Missy you never disappoint- I always laugh out loud:) Once again, nice job... literally!

Thelissa said...

I would have laughed so hard to hear your sweet mother using that term! So funny!

Sarah said...

Sounds like your Mom and Grandma Sara had the same trust when it came to boys...remember the movie Scott/Matt/Jake/etc got Grandma Sara to rent for them?

Hollie said...

I hate that word "shawty" but I'm glad to finally learn what it means. I thought maybe it was some person who I'd never heard of who is always referred to in songs like Mic Jagger. I swear his name is mentioned in 1 out of every 10 songs. Thanks for the vocab lesson.

Laura said...

I think your mom is pretty Bad A.

Sestra Robbins said...

You DID HAVE to bring that up again!!

The Hill Family said...

I can't stop laughing. That is so funny! I would love to hear about the b-----n incident. Ha:)