Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Truth in 5 year old Promises

I'm sure you've heard of truth in advertising. This is where companies must have proof that their products can do what they claim they can. My sister and I have joked about requiring Truth in Christmas Letter writing, where instead of hearing about vacations taken and glowing achievements of children you would read about how many hours of TV kids really watch and annoying habits of spouses. Well this week Katie taught me about Truth in 5 year old Promises. We were having one of those mornings where both Katie and Suzie where paying more attention to "Curious George" then their mother and complaining about everything from having to wear a coat when it is 20 degrees outside to wearing socks with their boots. I was trying to get out the door and had had it. So I shamelessly pulled out the Santa card and said, "I can't believe you guys are acting this way the week Santa is coming." My guilt-laced arrow must have hit its malleable mark because quite a bit later and out of the blue Katie said to me, "Mom, I might not whine when I have to make my bed today." I replied, dubiously, "You won't?" To which she honestly said, "Well, I probably won't."

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

The Santa card has no power around here. Really? I don't get it.

Have a great Christmas Kari-- loved your card and your cute family.

Thelissa said...

The santa thing doesn't work at our house either. I think I have used it too much. Last night I told them that if they kept it up, Santa simply would not come. And you know...I think I almost meant it! I have no problem following through except for the fact that a neighbor told me about the christmas she was fed up and none of her kids got gifts. They were so confused and thought they were really bad kids. Christmas that year fell on a Sunday so all the kids at church were going on and on about their morning. Her kids left knowing deep in their hearts that they were not as important and bad kids. Oddly, she didn't seem to care. I don't want to do that.

I do wish the santa card still had power though! And Katie cracks me up!

Natalie said...

Good ol Katie, she's always good for a laugh.