Friday, March 22, 2013

Different Strokes

Last Sunday night Eric found reruns of "Different Strokes" on TV and got the kids to watch it by telling them it his and mine's version of "The Suite Life of Zach and Cody."  Even though it was super cheesy, it did bring back memories and I could totally remember the episodes from almost 30 years ago!  Finn especially loved Arnold and his catch phrase "What you talkin' 'bout Willis?"  Eric explained to the kids how we actually had to watch it on TV at a certain time and would look forward to when it was on each week; how we couldn't watch it "on demand" like the kids can do now.  The kids were amazed by this.  We also talked about how we didn't have remote controls- we actually had to get up to change the channel (Although in my brother's case, he would sit on the floor close to the TV and use his freakishly long finger-like toes to change the channel!) It was truly on of those "We had to walk through the snow to school 10 miles uphill both ways." types of moments.  The kids' concensus was that we must have had a pretty dull childhood! :)  In the course of the conversation we talked about how we didn't even have the internet, cell phones or even cordless phones- at least when we were younger.  We described how the phones receivers were attached to the phone so we had to sit by the phone to use it.  At this point Suzie remembered that Grandma Shauna still has one of those types of phones in her kitchen.  After she mentioned this she paused and then giggled and said, "She's old school."  Accurate description!

6 comments:

The Hill Family said...

Haha. I remember the pre technology days. How did we survive? :)

Lori said...

I must be old school too because I have four phones in my house that are attached and have cords! They work much better than the portable phones! So glad you are blogging again!

P4 said...

Have you tried describing cassette tapes and walkmans yet? I love these moments with my students. Yeah, they make me feel old, but I love the looks of confusion on their faces.

Michael said...

Why yes I am!!!!

Michael said...

Why yes I am!!!!

Liz said...

I love this because we are always telling our kids how sad our little electronic lives were as children.