Sunday, December 19, 2010

Now tell me again, Why do I do this to myself?!?

Since it was unseasonably warm on Monday night I thought we would go down to Temple Square to see the Christmas lights for FHE. We haven't gone down there to see the lights in a few years, so I thought it would be something everyone would enjoy. Boy, was I wrong.

Conversations had before we went:

Mom: Come on, everyone get your coats. We are going to see the lights on Temple Square for Family Home Evening.

Finn: What? Why are we going all the way down there just to see lights? They're just lights.

Katie:A square? How can we walk around in a square?

Mom: Just get your coats.

Conversations had while looking for a parking space:

Finn (while looking out the window at the the Church Office Building Plaza lights): Is that all? Is that all we came all the way down here for?

Dad: Yep, so soak it all in.

Mom: Holding her tongue and rolling her eyes.

Conversations we had while actually looking at the lights:

Finn: It's just a bunch of lights. What's the big deal?

Katie: This is lame.

Suzie: I WANT TO RIDE THE ESCALATOR! (Suzie had to go to the bathroom as soon as we got there and we made the mistake of going to the North Visitor Center, where they have an escalator, to take her to the bathroom. We told her we would go back at the end to ride the escalator, thinking she would be so mesmerized by the lights that she wouldn't even remember the escalator. But we were dead wrong. She cried the whole time about riding the escalator.)

Finn: I've been here like 3 times.

Mom: Trying to make it a meaningful experience by talking about what we were seeing- the temple, the nativities, the statues, etc. But finding no one is really listening and they are all moving onto the next thing to see without registering a thing she is saying.

Conversations we had in the car on the way home after being there for about 45 minutes:

Annie: We weren't there for very long.
Dad: We were there long enough.

Katie: We didn't even get to see any Jesus sets. ("Jesus sets" was how Katie referred to the nativities.)

Dad: Well if you had been paying attention you would have noticed that we passed by like 6 "Jesus sets."

Mom: Well. thank you for all making your mother happy by coming to see the lights on Temple Square so we can make a memory.

Annie: I loved it!

Katie: I had fun. (I'm not sure what she thought was lame earlier, but she seems to have forgotten it.)

Suzie: I rided the escalator!

So I guess maybe that is why I make myself vulnerable to "unsolicited" comments about what I plan so our family can create tradition and meaning. The "I loved it" and "I had fun" make it all worth it!

Can't you just see the "unsolicited comments" just oozing out of eric and Finn's faces!?! And notice Suzie is turned around, looking longingly back at the escalators I'm sure!

7 comments:

Liz said...

In answer to your title, we do it because as moms, we truly believe we are creating memories. That is why we drag ourselves out to be publicly humiliated by our offspring. I get this attitude allllll the time. Good job for trying!

Thelissa said...

Glad to hear your experience was as "fun" as ours. We even rode in a carriage and got complaints! Huh? Our other issue was trying to keep all our kids together as we walked the crowds. It's dark, no one is recognizable due to all the puffy layers we put on, even our own kids. We kept shouting, "stay close!" Our night ended when Zach an Liza went barreling down the spiral ramp by the Christus, Liza tripped on her boots and plunged head first into a pole. Yeah... That dome echos so loud when a 4 year old is screaming at the top of her lungs at the bottom! People were crowded around her by the time I could get down the ramp. I picked her up and off we headed for the car. I said the same thing... Why do I do these things? Memories indeed!

Hollie said...

Wow, I'm so looking forward to dragging my kids to Temple Square when they get older. It's hard enough now with a 4 and 2 year old, not to mention the 30 year old I call my husband. We're mom's though and we're meant to annoy our children and they will remember these things so good for you for doing it.

Michael said...

How did I miss the last 3 GREAT posts!?!

Unknown said...

We went down this year too. Our group only lasted less than one hour. My youngest also had to use the restroom the minute we got out of the car. My only highlight was the free hot chocolate we stumbled upon. The kids were happy because we met up with friends and exchanged gifts. But I decided that the square is for ages 10 and up only. And even then only if I wear my snow clothes.

Kelly said...

You just talked me out of going this week!

Stephanie said...

Okay, Kari, I'm not trying to hijack your post, because it was great, but this is just to prove to you that I know EXACTLY how you feel. :)

http://diapersanddivinity.com/2010/12/08/whoever-said-life-is-what-you-make-it-didnt-have-children/